(Written by Doug Sandy)
“Dear brothers and sisters, after we were separated from you for a little while (though our hearts never left you), we tried very hard to come back because of our intense longing to see you again.” 1Thessalonians 2:17 (New Living Translation)
Upon returning from the Czech Republic in August, I felt like I had left a piece of my heart behind. God had showed us all how to love our Czech friends with His love. Then we had to leave. There was a lot to be thankful for. We had helped host an English camp for about 40 high-school students. We presented the gospel. We encouraged the leadership and the students (and we were encouraged by them), and the mission was a success. However, there were so many things that felt incomplete. So many conversations that we wanted to continue. Our new friendships for the sake of the gospel drove me to the question “what more can we do?”
Shortly after our return, before the month of August was even over, I began investigating the possibility of going back to Czechia over the winter school break. These plans have morphed into the 10 day mission trip that I am sharing with you today. Here are the high points:
- Meet with Josh & Anežka Dietz (our full-time Czech Missionaries) in Prague to bring them gifts and supplies.
- Help host a weekend English camp for Czech Youth. The camp is titled “Joy for All” and is themed around Christmas traditions and the meaning of Christmas. This camp will be similar to what we did over the summer, but will have fewer students, in a somewhat cozier setting.
- Join a meeting of the “English Club” at the CB Těšín Church for further fellowship and sharing time.
- Meet with the leadership of the CB Těšín Church to explore further ways that we can work together for Jesus in both of our countries.
As a reminder: Czechia is one of the least religious countries in the world. Most of the country is either atheist or agnostic and fewer than one percent of the population is Christian. These are wonderful, bighearted, people who have very little cultural awareness of Jesus as the result of years of communist rule. We are blessed to be able to work with a well-established Church in the region that is passionate about proclaiming the gospel and producing genuine disciples. I long to return to Czechia soon. I can’t wait to see what God will do as we partner for the gospel in this amazing country.
- Health for the Sandy Family as we prepare for this trip.
- Wisdom as we work with the Czech team to plan the remaining details.
- Students with open hearts to attend the camp and English club.